POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Caller ID spoofing? : Re: Caller ID spoofing? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caller ID spoofing?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 22 Jul 2008 13:21:05
Message: <48861701$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> Is there such a thing?
>
> Last evening got a call that showed up as
>
> 1-123-456-7890

Yes there is and it's obnoxious. Its a way to get around the Do Not Call
list. By falsifying the number, there's little you can do to report the
call. Usually they don't give a name in the recorded message, Instead
instruct you to push a number, which transfers an agent who is trained
to hang up at the first sign of someone actually trying to discover the
identity. There's a new round of them going around lately. My caller-id
on my cellphone gave back a number with an extra digit. My home phone
had the same number you describe call it. Both were vague recorded
messages.